Summer is the time for getting away from it all. Whether you’re scheduling a family vacation or a getaway with friends, there’s something for everyone at the national parks across the country. You’ll even find golf courses.
During your next visit to a national park, you can find activities for everyone in your party, from hiking to water sports to golfing. If you’d like to spend some time out on the green, we’ve got the best national parks for you to consider adding to your itinerary.
Swing a Club at Asilomar
Asilomar, the Refuge by the Sea, is located on the Monterey Peninsula, near Pacific Grove, California. This area is known for sandy dunes and birdwatching. But, it’s also home to almost 20 world-class golf courses.
Within 20 miles of Monterey, you’ll find 10 public, 4 municipal, and 6 private golf courses. Just a few that you can pick from include:
- Del Monte Golf Course: Opened in 1897, making it the oldest golf course in Monterey.
- Bayonet & Black Horse: The longest course at 7,168 yards.
- Quail Lodge & Golf Club: Rated the best of all the Monterey courses.
With so many different courses to choose from, you can take your pick from the bunch, or tee off at a different course for every day of your stay.
Other Activities: Coastal Relaxation
If you’re planning a trip to Asilomar, you’ll find plenty of things to do there in addition to playing golf. The coastline along the Monterey Peninsula is known for its sand dunes and ecological diversity. You can stroll along the coast or boardwalk, take a birdwatching tour, or just settle in atop the sand with a good book.
You can also take a self-guided tour to learn more about the local area and animals. Each tour features stations where you can use your phone to scan and find more information. These tours include:
- Julia Morgan Architecture Tour: Learn more about the historic buildings and architecture designed by Julia Morgan.
- Coast Trail: A two-mile round trip coastal walk through the rocky shores’ habitat. This trail is ADA accessible.
- Dunes Preserve: This quarter-mile boardwalk loop takes you through the sandy dunes with beautiful views of the beach.
Where to Stay: Asilomar Hotel & Conference Grounds
During your time in Asilomar, book a room at the Asilomar Hotel & Conference Grounds. Asilomar is a peaceful retreat where you can enjoy the sound of the waves and get away from the hustle and bustle of a city. With 107 acres of land at Asilomar, you’re just steps from the Asilomar State Beach. You’re also just a short drive from all of the Monterey golf courses.
Hole in One at Zephyr Cove
Zephyr Cove is located on the South Shore of Lake Tahoe, giving you the perfect mixture of nature and fun activities. When compared to the quieter, more serene North Shore, South Lake Tahoe is known for ski resorts, boat tours, golfing, and nightlife. Located along the border of California and Nevada, Lake Tahoe is the perfect destination for nature and nightlife.
Just minutes from South Lake Tahoe, you’ll find the Lake Tahoe Golf Course, which is known as Tahoe’s best championship golf green. This is an 18-hole golf course settled in a mountain meadow and surrounded by the High Sierras. No matter your skill level, get ready for a challenge. The course also has a practice facility and driving range.
Other Activities: Boat Cruise
During your visit to Lake Tahoe, you can’t miss a chance to get out on the water and take a boat cruise. Book a spot with Lake Tahoe Cruises and choose from a variety of different tour options.
From daytime to sunset, you can pick the perfect boat cruise to board for you and your traveling companions. Pick from:
- Daytime Scenic Cruise: Voted the “Best Cruise in Nevada” by Nevada Magazine, this cruise is certain to not disappoint. During your cruise aboard the M.S. Dixie II, a classic paddlewheeler, you can enjoy sunshine, fresh air, and views of the crystal clear blue water of Lake Tahoe. The tour will take you to Emerald Bay, while you listen to expert narration about the local area and wildlife.
- Sunset Dinner Cruise: For a truly unique dining experience, look no further than the sunset dinner cruise. After you board the paddlewheeler boat, you can grab a glass of wine or cocktail from the bar and then settle in to watch the sunset. Choose your appetizer, main, and dessert from a chef-prepared menu.
Where to Stay: Zephyr Cove Resort
Zephyr Cove Resort is the perfect place to stay if you’re looking to stay within the heart of the action in South Lake Tahoe. The resort has 28 individual cabins and 4 guest rooms. From the resort, you’ll be just a few minutes walk from the beach, marina, lake cruises, and onsite dining. The resort also has a gift shop, lounge and bar, free parking, and is pet-friendly.
This summer, set your sights on a national park that has something to offer for everyone in your traveling party. At Asilomar and Lake Tahoe, you’ll find plenty of outdoor adventures to keep you busy, including a great game of golf.